Re: [wg-c] INT domain

I think we can put this one to bed; Tony has agreed that further dialog on .INT isn't appropriate in wg-c, b/c this working group is intended for discussion of *new* gTLDs. That said, I'm a little surprised that anybody is reviving the argument that chartered TLDs, in general, are somehow out of the scope of WG-C, or that the term "gTLD" in the context of our activities does not include chartered TLDs. Kent suggested this about six weeks ago. Here's my response to him:

> This is quite silly. Here's WG-C's first task as defined in its charter,
>which is on <http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/19990625.NCwgc.html>:
>
>Should there be new generic Top Level Domains (gTLDs)? If yes: How many?
>Which? At which speed should they be deployed and in which order? What
>should be the mechanism for developing new gTLDs after all these are
>deployed. *Should each new gTLD have a specific charter?*
>
> I'll quote it again: this WG was explicitly tasked to decide whether "each
>new gTLD [should] have a specific charter." For better or for worse,
>that's the job we were given. There's no room for an argument that the
>word "gTLD" in *our* 1999 charter somehow does not include a "gTLD [with] a
>specific charter."

and here's his response to me:

You're right -- in my haste looking over the charter I just didn't see
that line, so my argument in that area is garbage.

<<<<

Jon

Jonathan Weinberg
weinberg@msen.com