Re: [wg-c] voting on TLDs

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 11:20:01AM -0800, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Kent Crispin wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 09:39:57PM -0800, Mark C. Langston wrote:
> > [...]
> > > You say that we have no evidence that a flood of new, inexperienced
> > > registry admins will provide stable service.  Well, we have no
> > > evidence to the contrary.
> >
> > Actually, we do -- so much so that it is ludicrous to claim otherwise.
>
> Care to substantiate your assertion?

If you would think about it just 3 seconds, you wouldn't ask that
question.

Here's the assertion:

"A flood of new, inexperienced registry admins/operators can cause
instabilities in the registry service."

This is a special case of the more general assertion:

"A flood of new, inexperienced XXX admins/operators can cause
instabilities in the XXX service."

Clearly, the important component here is the flood of new,
inexperienced admins/operators -- there is nothing unique about the
DNS that makes it immune to screwups by new people -- quite the
contrary, in fact -- new people frequently screw up DNS, because DNS is
a lot more complicated than it seems at first.

So any case where a flood of new people has caused instability is
evidence in support of this statement.  If you can't think of such
cases you simply aren't being honest.

In fact, we are really dealing with the more general proposition:

"Sudden changes in the XXX service can cause instabilities in the XXX
service."  This is generally and obviously true, and examples abound

There is no magic in the DNS or the Registry services that make them
immune to such problems -- we have ample evidence of that in the
problems that the new registrars had coming on line, in the
problems that have plagued NSI -- you seem conveniently to have
forgotten your own efforts at getting around the problems that NSI
caused in the whois system.

In short, there is abundant evidence that change in the registry system
causes instabilities, evidence right before your very nose -- you have
been deeply involved in fighting those instabilities.