Re: [wg-c] voting on TLDs

At 09:39 PM 3/5/2000 -0800, Mark C. Langston wrote:
>That's odd.  Until someone went and got Paul Vixie to state that
>adding a large number of new TLDs would pose no technical problem, the
>arguments here were about instability rooted in technical issues.
>Now that that argument is untenable, it's shifted to the unprovable
>claim that adding new registries will break things.

Your assessment of history is thoroughly inaccurate.

>You say that we have no evidence that a flood of new, inexperienced
>registry admins will provide stable service.  Well, we have no
>evidence to the contrary.  We do, however, have more than ample proof
>that administrative instability has not damaged the Internet.  If you
>need any examples, witness the bulk of current and past registrars.
>Look at NSI.  The net routes around trouble; it doesn't come crashing

Indeed, please DO look at NSI.  Their history ain't nearly as wonderful as
you seem to believe.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA