Re: [wg-c] IMPORTANT: DRAFT WG-C REPORT

On Sat, Mar 04, 2000 at 12:28:35PM -0500, bob broxton wrote:
> 1.  The report should neither be labelled "Report (Part One) of
> Working Group C of the Domain Name Supporting Organization, Internet
> Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers" nor referred to as "This
> document is Part One of the Report of Working Group C" (first sentence
> of the document).
>
> A report, in order to be labelled a report of a group, needs to have a
> formal vote for adoption by that group.  Working Group C has never voted
> to make this Working Group C's "Report, Part One....".

[...]

> As the members of Working Group C have never voted on this Report, the
> cover page, heading and first sentence of this document should be
> changed to read:
>
>   "This is a report by the Co-Chairman of Working Group C describing the
>   progress of Working Group C.  This is not a report of Working Group C.
>   Working Group C has never taken a vote approving this report."
>
> It is also very important that the Co-Chairman in orally presenting this
> document stress at all times that this document is not the Report (Part
> One) of Working Group C.  This will prevent anyone from believing that
> this document, as worded, has been adopted by Working Group C.

I agree.

> 2.  The requirement to obtain five votes in order to submit a minority
> (dissenting ) statement should be eliminated.  If someone wants to
> submit a minority or dissenting report they should be allowed to do so.
> To my knowledge, Working Group C has never adopted this procedural
> limitation on the expressing of one's views.

Yes indeed.  The "5 votes" rule just came out of the blue, and expecting
people to compose a meaningful minority report, get it reviewed, and
gather 5 votes in the already too compressed time frame is completely
unreasonable.

But Bob, was it really necessary to quote Jon's entire message to make
your point?