[wg-c] reposted for Kendall Dawson

Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 18:44:38 -0500
From: Kendall Dawson <kendall@motif1.obs-us.com>
Subject: re: [wg-c] IMPORTANT: DRAFT WG-C REPORT

I think that Jon's initial draft is clearly worded and accurately
summarizes the activity of WG-C during the last 8 months. I am a new
member to the group and appreciate the thorough history of the issues. I
do have a vested interest in the outcome of gTLD's and, for the record,
would like to state my views:

1) I support the consensus position - new gTLDs should be added.
2) I think that ICANN should start with a roll out of 6 - 10 gTLDs
immediately with an upfront commitment to roll out many more during the
next couple of years. (I also agree that there should be a brief
evaluation period to gauge technical stability)
3) I do NOT agree with the position that deployment should be delayed
until after implementation of the uniform dispute resolution procedure,
improved domain name registration procedures, and protection for
so-called famous marks.

As another member of the community once stated:

"It was never intended that the domains were a 'brand'. Domains were to
find hosts (IP addresses), not to fulfill trademark applications.
Therefore this property "right" doesn't really exist, as it can be
changed at any moment because its a technical problem in ultimate
reality, despite the sociopseudolegal impediments to making that
change."

I strongly agree with this statement. I look forward to participating in
future votes and discussion threads as a member of WG-C. I expect strong
support for ICANN and gTLD's in Cairo.

Sincerely,

Kendall Dawson
kendall@paradigm.nu