Re: [wg-c] Re: nine principles for domain names

"Eric Brunner" <brunner@world.std.com> > Uncharitably, and unamusedly
wrote (originally at much greater length)

> Philip,
>
> > If anyone believes in a system that does not endow identity they
> > should argue for IP address only.
>
> Please place the undersigned in the cute little niche you've so
> thoughfully carved out.

 yours,
> Eric Brunner

Naa, surely not, Eric. (Naa=dialect NO)

Forgive me, but I was labouring under the evident misconception that .naa
was intended as a meaningful abbreviation for north american aborigines or
some such.  Perhaps the meaning is shrouded in the .mist (English meaning or
German meaning? ;-)

If you don't care that the gTLD you seek is meaningful then why not just buy
up one of the substantially unused ISO3166 codes and get started with that
as certain other entrepreneurs have already done?

I agree that Philip's basic proposition then begs the question of meaningful
to whom, but that is indeed a subsidiary question and surely not one which
should have attracted such an uncharitable response from yourself.

As I've written elsewhere, I believe that "differentiation" is the key, and
that also implies some sort of "meaningful" distinction (at least to those
likely to be interested in registration in the relevant TLD).

I cannot see what value meaningless TLDs would have other than to greatly
add to the potential for mass confusion for everybody.

Regards

Keith