Re: [wg-c] Re: nine principles for domain names

Philip,

> If anyone believes in a system that does not endow identity they
> should argue for IP address only.

Please place the undersigned in the cute little niche you've so
thoughfully carved out. I don't think a label has to "stand for"
anything other than itself, or have some meaning derived from a
source outside of the label-space. Therefore I must, according
to your absurd insistence on subordinating the DNS to some foreign
semantic system (ASCII marks), seek not to use DNS at all.

You may want to check with a slightly larger community with a long
interest in things DNS if your view that labels must "stand for
something (ignoring the "to whom" question) or not exist" is the
no-brainer you (plural) take it for. A note to the namedroppers list
would do, as would an I-D to the DNS WGs.

If this "principle" for domain names marks the end of the difficult
period of mutual accomidation between the DNS operational community
and the marks community, it shouldn't be buried in a mishmash of
other issues -- just come right out and advocate a ban on labels in
the root that don't "stand for something".

Please go back to WG-B where presumably your efforts are rewarded
in the style you appreciate most. You haven't attempted to show the
application of your "principles" to two TLD applicants, and what
little can be charitably extracted from them as applicable to the
charter and current agendea of WG-C is not worth sifting through
what clearly isn't applicable to the charter and current agendea of
WG-C.

Uncharitably, and unamusedly yours,
Eric Brunner

P.S. "Na'a" means "mom" in Siksika. What does it mean in Flemish?
In Walloon? In Bruxellois?