RE: [wg-c] Commission Working paper on the creation of .EU

This discussion does seem more appropriate somewhere else.  Keep in mind 3
points.  The addition of a new country to the ISO 3166 list takes a very
long time, and the European Union has been in the application process for 2
years.  They have recently recieved a reserved code element, but that final
step to be included in the 3166-1 list is a difficult one (ask Palestine,
which was added this last summer).  Second, once the code is added, the IANA
process can take quite some time.  Palestine requested the IANA delegation
in October, and the code has not yet been delegated as the applicant must
show it meets the requirements listed in RFC 1591.  Lastly, recognize that
.EU is the first regional TLD applicant, and ICANN may want to include such
TLDs in a different application process.  Let's be real here.  Jon (and
others) adopted the ISO 3166 list because it seemed like the right thing to
do, but that was a long time ago, and things have definately changed.  Maybe
it is time to move from the mentality that everything on the 3166-1 list
should automatically have a code, to something a bit more developed than a
list.

Just a suggestion, but something that ICANN is struggling with and will have
to address in the coming months.