Re: [wg-c] STRAW POLL

Here is what I sent to Jonathan earlier.
My personal opinions.

>QUESTION ONE
>         Please select from the following possibilities, *as applied to the
>deployment of new gTLDs in the name space over the medium to long term*:

My answer:

>3. ICANN, in selecting new gTLDs, should approve some chartered gTLDs and
>some unchartered ones.  (Alternatively, ICANN should require that all gTLDs
>have charters, but it should approve some gTLDs with charters that
>meaningfully limit the universe of people who can register in the gTLD, and
>some gTLDs with charters that do not impose any such limits.)
>

>QUESTION TWO
>         The working group has reached and reaffirmed a recommendation
> that the
>initial expansion of the name space should consist of six to ten new gTLDs,
>followed by an evaluation period.  Please select from the following
>possibilities, *as applied to that initial rollout*.

My answer:

>3. ICANN, in selecting new gTLDs in the initial rollout, should approve
>some chartered gTLDs and some unchartered ones.  (Alternatively, ICANN
>should require that all gTLDs have charters, but it should approve some
>gTLDs with charters that meaningfully limit the universe of people who can
>register in the gTLD, and some gTLDs with charters that do not impose any
>such limits.)
>

>QUESTION THREE
>         The issue of chartered gTLDs is tied up with the larger issue of
> how ICANN
>should select new gTLDs -- in particular, whether (a) ICANN itself should
>be the final arbiter of new gTLDs' names and charters, or (b) ICANN should
>simply select new registries and leave the choice of names and charters to
>them.  I think that at this point we can't avoid confronting the larger
>question of how ICANN should pick new TLDs in the initial rollout.
>(Actually, we're returning to the question; part of last summer's straw
>poll spoke to the same issue.  The results then were inconclusive.)  Please
>select from among these possibilities:

My answer:

>5. Each person proposing a new gTLD applies to the Names Council for the
>formation of a working group devoted to that gTLD (or to several gTLDs).
>The working group identifies a registry/sponsor, and generates a charter,
>for its proposed new TLD.  If the gTLD is approved, then the entity
>identified by the working group becomes the registry/sponsor.  The identity
>of the registry operator may be set for competitive bid (and periodic rebid).

Personal comment: Of the 3 questions, the last one was the only one where I
did not feel that the example answers given weren't completely clear, and I
did not feel very comfortable with the answer I picked.

I guess that's where the next fight will occur.

                        Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no