Re: [wg-c] Commission Working paper on the creation of .EU

At 11:40 AM 2/12/2000 -0500, Milton Mueller wrote:
>Correct. But what you're overlooking here is that this is probably the first
>time in the ISO-3166 list's history that a formal request has been made to
>add a code to the list specifically in order to qualify for a TLD.

So?

As stated on the IANA pages,  <http://www.iana.org/cctld.html>:  "IANA is
not in the business of deciding what is and what is not a country, nor what
code letters are appropriate for a particular country."

If you have a problem with the list's contents, go talk with the list's
maintainers.  This is the wrong forum for trying to communicate with the
list's maintainers, Milton.

Or are you suggesting CHANGING LONG-ESTABLISHED POLICY and using a
different table?

> > The only exception to that was the request from UK to have ".uk"
> instead of ".gb" because it was more inclusive.
>
>This is an interesting example of the retroactive creation of a myth to come

Actually, this is an example of further wasting the group's time.

IANA evolved its practises and as with most processes, things evolved.  The
early stages did not constitute "precedent" or "policy".  They represent
"startup decisions."  As such, they, too, are irrelevant to the work of
this group.

>This is relevant because it shows just how casually and unilaterally things
>were done fifteen years ago, and how inapplicable IANA precedents can be to

What your statement shows is just how casually and unilaterally we are
offered definitive-but-baseless interpretations for events at which the
speaker was not present and for processes about which they very clearly
have far too little (or, more likely, no) information.

In particular, the assertions about activities 15 years ago reflects a deep
and continuing lack of knowledge about Jon's extensive consultative process.

>(BTW, there is nothing "more inclusive about "uk" than "gb" -- the terms
>Great Britain and United Kingdom are used interchangably.)

It does not take a degree in logic to understand that "United Kingdom Of
Great Britain and Northern Ireland"
<http://www.usembassy.org.uk/potus98/p98uk4us.html> defines a difference
between the terms "United Kingdom" and "Great Britain".

At least, one suspects that Norther Ireland would count as a significant
difference...

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA

Gong Xi Fa Cai   /  Selamat Tahun Baru Cina