Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 16:21:43 -0800 (PST)
From: Karl Auerbach <karl@CaveBear.com>
To: Jonathan Weinberg <weinberg@mail.msen.com>
Subject: Re: [wg-c] STRAW POLL

> QUESTION ONE
> 	Please select from the following possibilities, *as applied to the
> deployment of new gTLDs in the name space over the medium to long term*:

My vote: #4.

> 4. ICANN should simply select new registries and leave issues of names and
> charters (including whether to limit the universe of people who can
> register in the domain, and if so how) to the new registries.

> QUESTION TWO

My vote: #4.

> QUESTION THREE

> 6. Other (please explain).

Any natural person who has attended an IFWP meeting or ICANN "meeting" or
who has posted e-mail on the IFWP mailing list or on any ICANN mailing
list or who can otherwise demonstrate participation in these discussions
during the year 1998 or 1999, can enter "the lottery".

The lottery will operate through a series of selections, the winner of any
selection is disqualified from further participation.

Immediately there will be six selections.  And then there will be 100
selections per year starting six months after the first six.

The winner of each is given the right to select a TLD name, in case of
conflicts, the earlier winner gets priority.

That winner is then permitted to establish that named TLD in the ICANN
system of roots.  That winner is permitted to license, sell, or otherwise
alienate that license under any terms the winner sees fit.

The winner is under no obligation to exercise that license except that if
it is not put into practice within five years after winning, the license
(and the name) terminates.

		--karl--