Re: [wg-c] .eu and the notion of regional TLDs

At 04:14 PM 2/5/2000 , Eric Brunner wrote:
>My only disagreement is whether the EU need an entry in iso3166, and

Oh.

My strongly held and asserted opinion is entirely based on their getting
into that table.

The whole idea that IANA had in using that table is to off-load the
"interesting" problem to the maintainers of that ISO table.  If EU is in
the table, there is a standard IANA mechanism.  Just turn the crank and out
pops another ccTLD,

>         1. the IANA considerations one, does iso3166 exhaust the set
>            of 2 octect ASCII encoded lables in the DNS root, or are

Whether there can be 2-letter codes outside of ones in the ISO table is,
perhaps, an amusing question to pursue, but I believe it is irrelevant to
this issue.

Unless EU wants a TLD but is not listed in the ISO table.  And THEN we have
the whole mess of policy issues that people have been enjoying raising.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA

Gong Xi Fa Cai   /  Selamat Tahun Baru
Cina