Re: [wg-c] Commission Working paper on the creation of .EU

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent Crispin" <kent@songbird.com>

> In my opinion anyone that supports new TLDs in ANY form should support
> the .eu proposal.

I understand this perspective. But the effective destruction of DNSO process
would outweigh the benefits of breaking the logjam, particularly if it is
done under the subterfuge of a new ccTLD.

> It should be clear to anyone paying attention that
> if processes are being developed it is happening at such a slow rate
> that it isn't visible to the naked eye.  The gears are completely
> stuck, and we need movement to get them unstuck.

In what sense are they stuck? We have overwhelming support in this WG and in
the public comments to proceed with their creation. The Board has indicated
its willingness to discuss the issue at its impending meeting. The next step
is to define more specific ways of implementing the introduction of the
first 10 new TLDs. If ICANN's board decides to include .EU in that initial
batch, it wouldn't bother me a lot, as long as a procedure was defined to
continue adding them.

> But seriously -- it may take something with the political force of the EU
> to get *ANY* TLD through the system.

That is true ONLY if the "political force" is channelled into the
development of an open, nondiscriminatory process. If CEC just manages to
win a special concession for itself, it sets a very bad precedent.

I would like to know more explicitly where you stand.
Are you conceding that ICANN's organic processes are useless?
Why are you giving up now? The issue has not been passed to the NC, nor
formally considered by the Board. The WG has just completed the first phase
of its work. How can you say that we are "stuck?"