Re: [wg-c] .eu and the notion of regional TLDs

At 04:33 AM 2/4/00 , you wrote:
>I could see clear benefits for registrants in a .eu TLD.
>It is a regional identification for all those who might wish to identify
>their on-line presence as European.
>Depending on how "open" the registry is going to be, it could be a TLD for
>individuals and companies from EU member states, but also from non-members
>states, as long as they wish to identify their Domain as European.

Hi Joop,

As you note, the EU domain is being proffered in the
paper to provide brand identity value just like COM.
The CEC seeks to differentiate EU in the marketplace
just like any other proposed new gTLD.  Indeed, it is
remarkable how the CEC now characterizes COM as the
"North American domain" and that EU is now being proffered
as a competitive alternative to COM. Good.

Under these circumstances, after ardently seeking to
place the North American domain under a well regulated
regime, one would presume that the EU domain would be
subject to same requirements regime.  However, the CEC
appears to suggest it is entirely autonomous to do
whatever it wishes with respect to defining and allotting
registrants, registries and registrars.

Seems rather discriminatory and unfair to me.

--tony