RE: [wg-c] NSI's MILLENNIUM SPECIAL OFFER

	I can't speak for why Mr. Brunner thinks it's interesting, but I find the
NSI offer more interesting than the comment by the complaint writer.  I
find it rather annoying, albeit entirely understandable, that NSI would
extend an offer to owners of .com domains to register the .net and .org
variants.

	It's understandable because NSI is trying to make a buck.  It's annoying
in that this behavior creates the very need for a working group like ours.

	In a perfect world, people would able to rely on the good graces of others
not to cybersquat, those with the same or similar real-world names would
negotiate for acceptable web names and peacefully coexist, and the general
web surfing public would be a bit smarter and try more than one variant
while trying to pull up your web page.  You could then get away with just a
.com or .org or whatever.  But this isn't a perfect world.  Yes,
pre-emptive registration can be an expensive proposition for some, but
IMHO, the more tlds available, and the more focused they are, the less
likely one will 1) be able to afford to register all variants and 2) be
less likely to need to register all variants.  While it can be argued that
in the current state of affaits, it makes sense to register all 3 variants,
it's rather annoying that NSI would encourage the very thing that causes
the need for more tlds.

>On 03-Jan-2000 Eric Brunner wrote:
>> The following comment is interesting.
>> http://www.dnso.org/dnso/dnsocomments/comments-gtlds/Archives/msg00233.html
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Eric
>
>Perhaps you could tell us why you found it interesting?
>
>Sounds like one more person who bemoans taking responsibility for
protection of
>their own interests, and wants someone else to take the responsibility, both
>financial and otherwise, for them.
>
>One more person who believes that every possible use of their string of
>characters is a violation of their rights.
>
>One more person who is absolutely wrong.
>
>--
>William X. Walsh <william@dso.net>
>DSo Networks  http://dso.net/
>Fax: 877-860-5412 or +1-559-851-9192