[comments-gtlds] Top level domains

Recently, I, the rightful owner of spacerevolution.com, was forced to purchase additional top level domains in an effort to keep others from destroying any possible brand name association I can develop in the coming years; this was before I received the kindly writen, and nicely threatening letter from Network Solutions that I am attaching.  Instead of spending money on setting up e-commerce solutions for my site, I had to spend a few hundred dollars in an effort to protect my interests.  A hate group or some porn pushers etc... could have just as easily come along and bought spacerevolution.org or .net and destroyed any hopes of my establishing a good name for my domain; worse, my name and address are listed for everyone to see and this puts me at potential risk.  In and of itself, the idea that someone might think the idea of soandso.store might be more appropriate to their interests is fine, but if they have to buy the rights to 10, 20, 30, etc... different top level domains in an effort to keep the sanctity of their name is, at best, absurd.  It occurs to me that the only people who really benefit from this are entities like Network Solutions who can laugh all the way to the bank.  At the same time, I understand that certain people will buy a domain name and cybersquat in an effort to sell it at a ludicrous price.  Why not have it so that someone, such as myself, can declare an intent not to sell every two years at start or renewal, and therefore, automatically have the rights to every top level domain suffix that goes with their domain prefix.  This would eliminate confusion.  There are over 30 different numbers or letters that someone can choose for each space and 22 spaces.  That is far more than an octillion possible combinations--granted many of them would be gibberish--rendering the idea that people are running out of name possibilities ridiculous.  It doesn't make sense in the real world to have multiple companies with the same name, why do it in the virtual world.  It would be unthinkable if a company came out and called themselves Coca-Cola7 and infringed upon Coca-Cola, why allow that in cyberspace?  Please consider my suggestion to allow an individual, like myself, who has not intention to sell their domain, and wishes to build brand name association, to have the option of freezing all future instances of their domain prefix by agreeing not to sell that prefix/suffix.  Even if it would cost an extra hundred dollar of so fee every two years to maintain that prefix lock, it would save everyone tremendous headaches.  Thanks for listening to my opinions.
                                                                                     -Steve-

Dear Stephen Finn,

Act now and get your .NET or .ORG Web Address...and a $10 rebate when you purchase before January 15, 2000. Don't forget, anyone can register a .NET or .ORG!

MILLENNIUM SPECIAL OFFER! $10 OFF .NET and .ORG Web Addresses (domain names)*

Click below for $10 OFF! http://offer.networksolutions.com/go/h1/millenniumoffer/

Make the last decision of the Millennium your best decision of the Millennium - protect your online identity with the registration of a new .NET and/or a .ORG to complement your .COM Web Address(es)!

Our records show the following Web Addresses are still available (at the time of this mailing):
Don't miss out! Now's the time to get your .NET and/or .ORG Web Address(es) through our MILLENNIUM SPECIAL OFFER - and SAVE $10 on each!

There's no limit to the savings and no restriction on who can use .NET or .ORG Web Addresses. Get as many as you want at this special rate. But hurry, this rebate offer is only valid December 11, 1999 through January 15, 2000.

Click below: http://offer.networksolutions.com/go/h2/millenniumoffer/
..to take advantage of our MILLENNIUM SPECIAL OFFER and SAVE!

*Rebate offer only available to customers who register through Network Solutions or select partners and purchase via credit card at time of registration.

If you do not wish to receive e-mail promotional offers from Network Solutions, click on the following link Unsubscribe or simply reply to this message with the word "REMOVE" in the subject line.

Copyright 1999 Network Solutions, Inc. Network Solutions and the dot com people are registered trademarks. All rights reserved.

http://offer.networksolutions.com/go/na1/millenniumoffer/

Make the last decision of the Millennium your best decision
of the Millennium - protect your online identity with the
registration of a new .NET and/or a .ORG to complement your
.COM Web Address(es)!  Our records show the following Web
Addresses are still available (at the time of this mailing):

* SPACEREVOLUTION.NET
* SPACEREVOLUTION.ORG

Visit http://offer.networksolutions.com/go/na2/millenniumoffer/

http://207.31.244.118/unsub/1-nets-na&&&smfinn@monmouth.com

or simply reply to this message with the word "Remove"
in the subject line.

Copyright 1999 Network Solutions, Inc.  Network Solutions and the
dot com people are registered trademarks. All rights reserved.

[259241|millennium|na|]