Re: [wg-c] Schwimmer Post From Last Week

The one entity that can be relied upon to police the registration policy is
the registry itself. If the registry has control (dare I say *proprietary*
control) over its zone files, and if it has an incentive to apply a specific
standard consistently, then it will do so. So, for example, the .bank idea
that was proposed would probably be very careful to make sure that only
legitimate banks were allowed to register within it, because it's reputation
as a bank-oriented registry would be at stake.

Of course, we do not want ICANN itself to be responsible for policing
registration criteria. That would turn it into a global Regulator of
Everything.

--MM