RE: Suggestions (Re: [wg-c] Schwimmer Post From Last Week )

> While I still think the idea of chartered TLDs is a viable
> one, I'd like
> to make one suggestion:  For those groups that have specific TLDs
> allocated for them, they may not cross-register their SLD in another
> TLD.

I think that this should be up to the TLD registry. Market forces will sort
out the best policies here.

I also think that the registrant is better able to market a TLD according to
their own vision.

Personally, I can market/develop/deploy my own concepts MUCH better than I
can an imposed concept. Moreover, my own concepts have my personal buy-in. I
would wager that this is generally true, for most folks.

A TLD must be developed as part of a market development process or it just
doesn't work. The reason CNO worked is because the definition is wide-open
and NSI could do anything they wanted with a general charter and the fact
that there was no alternative.

Most marketers would roll on the floor laughing at the thought that a
handful of technical weenies would even attempt to define their markets for
them. Then they would simply walk away. If they did do it, there wouldn't be
enough buy-in, by the marketers, for them to do a decent job. If you've ever
seen those guys in action then you know what I'm talking about. If you
haven't, then you haven't a clue. Jazz, Buzz, whatever ... it ain't there
when it's somebody else' schtick. This is one place where practice overcomes
theory.