Re: [wg-c] consensus call results

At 12:18 PM 12/20/99 -0500, Rita M. Odin wrote:
>Jon,
>
>I hate to argue with you, but you did not include the 3 abstentions in
calculating the consensus.  There were 67 votes.  In order to have the 2/3
majority you need to meet your definition of rough consensus, you would
need 44.666 (rounded to 45) votes.  It looks like you are, in fact ,one
vote shy of reaching rough consensus.

>Rita M. Odin
>Arent Fox Kintner Plotkin & Kahn, PLLC
>202/857-8927
>odinr@arentfox.com

	With respect, I'm pretty sure that's not right.

	1. The first issue to consider is the relevance of the fact that many of
the WG did not vote at all.  As RFC 2418 recognizes, that's the usual
situation, and not a bar to a finding of consensus:  "most people
subscribed to mailing lists do not actively participate in discussions on
the list.  [Accordingly, it] is left to the discretion of the working group
chair how to evaluate the level of consensus."

	2. I think the abstainers are properly lumped with the non-voters.  I
gather that each of the abstainers had been asked to take sides in this
vote.  They were sending messages explaining why they were declining to do
so.  Rita's approach would have the effect of making the abstainers' votes
identical, for vote-counting purposes, to NO votes.  But that surely wasn't
the abstainers' intention -- rather, they were explaining why they did
*not* want to play any role in the debate at this time.

	3. To Eva, YJ and Raul:  If my discussion above diverges from your
intentions, please let me and the list know posthaste.  In particular, if
any of you voted to abstain with the intention that your vote be counted in
the vote tally denominator (so that it had the procedural effect of a NO
vote), please let me know and I'll so treat it.

Jon

Jonathan Weinberg
co-chair, WG-C
weinberg@msen.com