Re: [wg-c] reposted for Harald Tveit Alvestrand

> > Absent somebody enacting a worldwide law (and enforcing it) there's
> > nothing that can stop the creation, deployment, and use of distinct and
> > uncoordinated root systems.

> While there is no law preventing it, it is IRRESPONSIBLE to interrupt
> the transparent interoperability of the internet

A few points - first, the interoperability of the net is not harmed by
competitive roots to DNS.  IP packets still flow unvexed to their intended
recipients.

Second, I don't see any degree of "irresponsibility" here.  I do see the
imposition of a regulatory system (ICANN) where none is needed.

Third, I am using a competitive root at this instant.  I see no
disconnectivity whatsoever.  Of course, I can sent you a name that you may
not be able to resolve.  But that's really no different than me sending
you a telephone number without an area or country code.

Of course if I do build a web page containing references that I know are
beyond the resolvability of most people who is harmed?  Mainly me.

You are right that sharing a root or TLD (or any zone file) by automated
means is indeed a useful thing to do.  But that's an matter independent of
whether there are multiple portals (roots) into the various TLDs.

		--karl--