Re: [wg-c] bounced, reposted for Paul Garrin

At 22:33 19.12.99 -0400, Jonathan Weinberg wrote:
> >From: Paul Garrin <pg@lokmail.net>
>
> >Again, I don't make such grand assertions.  However, my engineers,
> >one of whom is a PhD candidate at Columbia U. and has worked for
> >NASA and DARPA and who holds several patents, and another who has worked
> for
> >Lucent, are competent in these areas and are working on just such a system
> >which we will open up to a testbed in the coming months.  If you are
> >interested in participating please keep in touch with us and we will
> >keep you up to date on our progress.

fyi, rumour has told me that most large-scale ISPs do "root hacking" on
behalf of their customers, effectively moving some of the root servers as
seen from their customers' sites.
You might be reinventing a wheel here.

The root is currently technically distributed among 13 boxes - the limit is
set by the DNS maximum UDP packet size.

One result of the intensity of the debate about ICANN has been that a lot
of people are scared to discuss technical solutions for increasing the
availability of the present coordinated root in public, for fear of being
"embraced" by those who want multiple uncoordinated roots.

And that's not good.

                       Harald A

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no