RE: [wg-b] RE: [wg-c] IAB Technical Comment on the Unique

> Behalf Of Eric Brunner
> Sent: Saturday, December 18, 1999 7:31 PM

> The IAB has put out a number of technical statements over the
> past decade,
> I can't recall one which has been eroded over time. I wish
> they'd stomped
> out NATs before they spread, but thats a taste issue.

NAT has saved the Internet where IPv6 couldn't and is now exactly what is
holding back deployment of IPv6. Taste issues aside, NAT was part of the
original design concept behind the Internet, where local networks were only
assigned a few public IP addresses and the remainder were internal-only
addresses. Public IP addresses were only to be assigned to gateway and
front-porch systems. NAT is only the enablement of this, already extant,
concept.

> I did have a reason for taking up the issue with Tony,
> wearing my co-author
> hat of draft-ietf-dnsind-iana-dns-03.txt. He, Karl, and
> Roeland all have
> an opportunity to speak to the issue of the semantics of IANA reserved
> octets in the DNS label space. They haven't taken advantage
> of the WG last
> call, announced in the namedroppers list. They will have the
> opportunity
> in the IESG last call period. I had the same reason for

I haven't been on namedroppers for over a year. I am too time-impacted.

> It is provincial of me, but I've vastly greater confidence in
> the technical
> acumen of people I've known for over a decade, the members of
> the IAB and
> their predecessors and peers in the IESG and IRTF, and the
> implmentors and
> maintainers of bind, than I have in a person I only know from
> his jarring,
> mean spirited, and technically hollow public mail, and
> lamentable private
> mail.
>
> In case there is any lack of clarity to which item I'm
> responding to, it
> is Roeland Meyer's response to Harald Alvestrand.

Resorting to public ad hominem, Eric? I thought better of you ... not!