Re: [wg-c] IAB Technical Comment on the Unique DNS Root

At 03:28 PM 12/17/1999 , Karl Auerbach wrote:
> > [The IAB has sent the following note to comments@icann.org]
> >
> > IAB Technical Comment on the Unique DNS Root
>
>That's pretty old news. (From the the September time frame.)
>
>And like the old claim that bumblebees can't possibly fly, the fact of the
>matter is that competitive roots do work.  (I've been using 'em for more

As long as they are carefully coordinated, then yes they do, as long as
users don't mind not being able to reach some listed in one root but not
another.

As long as alternatives roots stay tiny, compared with the ICANN root, then
yes they work fine.  As one versed in the design of Internet technology
should know, the problem is with scaling up the usage.

If usage scales up significantly, partitioning and registration collisions
are guaranteed to happen.  Yes, I said guaranteed.  The cumulative
statistics of such an administrative structure, over time, make the odds
arbitrarily close to one.

The only way to prevent that is to impose some higher-level coordination.
At that point, you are back to central control.

Also old news, Karl, is that you have yet to pursue your objections about
the IAB report with the IAB, itself.

At 04:45 PM 12/17/1999 , Karl Auerbach wrote:
>Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 16:45:37 -0800 (PST)
>From: Karl Auerbach <karl@CaveBear.com>
>
> > Why don't you postto this list with a e-mail addess resolveable by your
> > competitive root systems?
> >
> > I will leave it up to the readership to figure out *why* Karl won't post
> > from one of his "competitive root system" domains.
>
>I am posting from a competitive root domain.  Our familiar .com is a TLD
>that is in the root system I'm using.

You might be using your own root server hardware, but .com is an ICANN TLD
and, hence, your From field used an ICANN root domain.

It doesn't matter much what hardware you were using.  It matters where the
data came from.  The .com data you are using come from NSI/ICANN.

Why do you continue to confuse operational replication with administrative
independence?

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA