Re: [wg-c] lock-in and Delegation models

Thanks Ken,

William Walsh raised a couple of issues on the 25th and I'd like to find out
what substance they may have.

If I understood him, Mr. Walsh offered that deployment of shared non-profit
registries would mean an enhancement of [CORE supporters] service offerings.

Does CORE have service offerings?
Can they be enhanced?
How could deployment of shared non-profit registries effect any particular
enhancement(s)?

He also made an offering on the subject of competition and cost.

Assume that TLDs choice is primarily made on the basis of price, and some are
shared, others sole access models.

Can you characterize the "middlemen costs" of the SRS model?
At what price range do you expect to see sole access models diverge lower
than the shared access model for retail pricing?

If you have trouble with the second question in the second group of questions,
don't worry. I find it fairly odd myself, as it only makes sense to me if I
imagine two puddles of TLDs, distinguishable to end-users only on the basis
of price.

As NSI has a market valuation of USD 2.2 billion for under 10 million names,
I suspect that marginal cost issues may take some time to become apparant.
I've no idea how Mr. Walsh's proposition could actually be proved.

Leaving the presumption of marginal and eventually negative value of CORE's
goods and services, and adopting the presumption that CORE has some value
proposition to make to registry operators, could you sketch that proposition?
Could you contrast that proposition with those of NSI and roll-your-own?

What I suspect is that for any registry operator model, shared or unified,
the registry operator products and services available are limited, and that
an adequately funded for-profit unified delegation exploiter would purchase
the rights to use the technology developed by Emergent and subsequent.

Cheers,
Eric