Re: [wg-c] lock-in

On 25-Nov-99 John Charles Broomfield wrote:

> If we look at it closely, the *vast majority* of defenders of the
> idea of getting an eternal grant of ownership of a TLD that can be
> exploited
> commercially are those that want a TLD (or more) granted to them for
> eternity so that they can exploit it commercially...

Odd.  I only see three on this list with an interest in running a TLD.
Roland from MHSC and IO Design represented by Chris Ambler, and then the
CORE group, represented by.....more than I could count.

Now, how 2 people representing 2 companies makes up "the vast majority of
defenders of an idea" of what you unfairly (and in a clear attempt to
spread Fear, Uncertaintly and Doubt) called "an eternal grant of ownership
of a TLD ...." is absolutely beyond my comprehension.

> (No, I haven't yet
> figured out William Walsh)

And I'm not the only one without an obvious direct financial involvement
who has supported this view.  I notice how easily you ignore that, though.

> so it is rather obvious that you are very
> far
> from being an uninterested party arguing for what you think is the best
> scenario for the development of the internet in general. In fact, you
> are
> actively arguing for what would be a scenario that would very openly
> benefit
> you personally.

Actually, John, this can be more seen as characterizing the CORE
supporters.  Everyone one of them would see themselves in a better
financial position if all registries were forced to be shared non-profit
registries, because it would mean a direct enhancement of their service
offerings.  Competitive TLDs could seriously dent their registration
levels, especially when Registries prices begin to fall as a result of
competition to levels that make it hard for a model that has middlemen to
pay to keep up.

Frankly, John, I'm sick and tired of yours and Kent's continued F.U.D. on
these issues.  I dare say you are doing more harm to your cause than you
are doing benefit.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934