Re: [wg-c] lock-in

On 25-Nov-99 Kent Crispin wrote:
> Unregulated registries would have a fiduciary duty to their
> stockholders to pursue that possibility for revenue enhancement -- if
> a speculator can sell "accountants.biz" for many times the $35 price
> that a registry might charge, then clearly the registry is not
> charging what the market would bear, and is allowing domain

And who is talking about unregulated registries?  Neither model is, by
definition, an unregulated registry.  More FUD to try and make people see
negative where none exists.

> In passing in your other message today you wondered about William
> Walsh?  Check out www.dso.net, and his ".box" registry...

Oh Goodie.  Kent gets to use a ABSOLUTELY FREE third level registry
mirroring itself under an alternative TLD as some "ulterior motive" behind
my posts.  How's this, Kent?  I'll go ahead and make public that I have
absolutely zero interest in seeing .BOX enter the IANA/ICANN roots, and
you have me on record as saying so  :)

The .BOX project is actually a showcase for an open source software
package for running third level registries. It uses the GPL'd version
of the MySQL Database and the PHP3 scripting language to develop a dynamic
domain service system.

But do I have the resources or the desire to run a top level domain under
the rules I myself have advocated here?  The answer to that is simple,
Kent.  It's a firm no.  I will be opening more ABSOLUTELY FREE third level
domain registries, however.  And using portions of the code for some
other commercial services.

So why not stop spreading Fear Uncertaintly and Doubt, and stop talking
straight facts.  You might find it refreshing for a change.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934