Re: [wg-c] registry contracts

On 22-Nov-99 William X. Walsh wrote:
>> Hal Varian, dean of the school of economics at Cal Berkely, has
>> studied this problem as well, and to him the obvious approach is
>> something like the Nominet model.
>
> One person who likes that approach and thinks it is the best model
> doesn't
> mean that you exclude all other models, Kent.

Just to reiterate this point.  >>I MYSELF<< see advantages to both ISPs
and to domain owners from the shared registry/registrar owned model CORE
endorses, and is trying to get adopted to the exclusion of all others.

My whole problem is the part "to the exclusion of all others."

I see many advantages to the many different models that could develop.

So, unlike Kent, it isn't that I oppose the particular model type, just
the fact that it should be the SOLE model type because it has some
advantages.

Having some areas of advantage doesn't provide justification to force a
mandatory model type.  The fact is that the existence of such a registry,
operated in such a fashion, will provide a real competitive incentive for
the registries operating under different models to have contractual terms
that take advantage of many of those same benefits/advantages.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934