Re: [wg-c] New gTLD's

At 19:28 18-11-1999 +0000, Penman, Ian wrote:
>I tend to align with the authors of PP B, in that any release of
>a limited number of new gTLD's without (at the very least) a firm commitment
>from ICANN to add many more in the near future, will merely exacerbate the
>problem of limited availability of new domains, as the larger corporations
>simply "snap up" all available options relating to their brands.

Dear Ian:

You are certainly right.  However, my first acquaintance with this process
was in March of 1997.  At that time, I read the IAHC final report and the
first iteration of the WIPO dispute arbitration/mediation proposal.  I
liked the idea of preemptive exclusion of so called Famous Trademarks (with
some consideration for Well Known Trademarks), and I still do.

I would favour a system which considered lifting specific preemptive
exclusions on a case-by-case basis.

Thanks for this, your first posting.

Cordially,
BobC, with his second posting this day.  I waited to reply till I had a
chance to thoroughly digest your well crafted posting:-)

"One test is worth three expert opinions!"

"It's sorta like the 'coon, he ain't much good after you've skinned him
once or twice."
Ulric B. Bray