[wg-c] Possible solution to lock in?

Why isn't the solution to the lock-in problem simply
getting a new name, while keeping the old one, and gradually
migrating off?  No need to engage in expensive and inconvenient
renumbering of your network, and the old name still works.
We do this with email now, for example, with a minimum of fuss.
All my future business cards tell people to email me at hfeld@mediaaccess.org,
while folks who have been emailing me at hfeld@essential.org still reach me.

Is it envisioned that for profit registries = no name protability, while
not for profit = portability?  If so, why?  Why isn't the portability
question independent of the not-for-profit v. for-profit question?

In short, can someone please explain what lock in expenses are at risk?

Harold