Re: [wg-c] registry contracts

Caroline,

Correcting an Error (mine): Turning the lights out.

Previously I contrasted the title vs no-title interest to registry data
(the "private data" vs "public trust" question) and wrote that having a
title interest to data protected operators-in-place at delegation renewal
events, by raising the cost of their displacement to competitors.

By way of background, I couldn't understand the rhetoric that some, who
would all subsequently be co-signers of the B, or author the G papers,
employed in their struggle over the basic title to registry data issue.
I wondered why these guys were opposed to the registry data being public
trust -- "burn before ceeding" being about average for the subject.

Thinking about the rebid issue made the penny drop. If the known wanabee
for-profit registrars of WG-C owned the data transferred to them, then
at cash-out (non-renewal) they'd be better off if a) they held title,
and b) they could obtain value for the title transfer. A poision pill
defense against being out-bid.

I've found an error in my reasoning. It isn't necessary for the new
operator of the registry associated with a gTLD to "buy" the data or the
good will of the former operator, or to take possession (continue the
resolution of) registrant names while not obtaining title. Why bother?

If the outgoing operator (A) is less than commercially gracious, then
incomming operator (B) can mark all of the encumberment-claimed data
as invalid and leave operator A to settle with its customers.

Turning the lights out and letting outgoing hardball registry operators,
their registrars and registrants freeze in the dark has a one-time cost,
and if "lock-in" isn't fictive, the registrars (if any) and registrants
will be more than happy to re-register, creating new data without the
claimed encumberment by outgoing operator (A).

The net of this is after a few summary executions, registrants will
either avoid title-claiming rebid-vulnerable operators, or everyone
will get used to registry-global renewals, and title will have less of
an effect to delay consolidation than I'd previously forcast.

Of course, everyones' milage varries and I don't expect to change the
minds of anyone. After all, what's in a name anyways?

Cheers
Eric

        In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,
        but in practice there is.

(signature credit Patrik Faltstrom)