Re: [wg-c] bounced message, reposted for ... and The limits of ...

Milton Mueller wrote:

> Am I the only one on this list who wants to give consumers the right to
> make the choice for themselves?

The choice of words is plainer, but the sentiment was uttered in section 6
of Milt's proposal, "Diversity and Competition in Registry Models". I ran
that through a tilt detector, the long form is in the list archives.

Since then Milt has coped to being part of an elite, this is a small little
club after all, but the only member of this club with a clue.

Charming in a daffy way.

I wasn't convinced by the accompanying analysis of why the legal and
structural forms of registries is a "red herring". The factual error
Kent pointed out (Tim Berners-Lee, not Gabe Battista, drove usage, and
ironically, Red Herring (the magazine) agrees), vacates most of the few
bits in Milt's text that isn't crypto-revisiting other issues.

A testbed. But it has to look good with Milt's blanket of every color.

So every bit of variety, useful, dubious, and daft, has to be squeezed
into the space of 6-10, rather than just attempting to do 6-10 on a set
of least concern. I don't think ICANN has as a fundamental part of its
raison d'etre taking unnecessary risk, and Milt's ecumenicism appears to
call for every distinct risk factor to be savored to the fullest during
the first testbed period.

It is attractive when frustrated to call for quick and chaotic solutions,
to throw up everyone's hands and cry "its too hard", but this isn't why
we're playing with big bucks. Milt may need a win, but is it a personal
triumph to get everyone to abandon reason and attempt to try everything
simultaniously? The B team lost the toss to blow everything up and shoot
the lawyers. Blowing things up in a smaller 6-10 sized can isn't a heck
of a lot different.

Milt's idea is a recipe for the NC to disband or otherwise improve WG-C.

If our best idea is to throw chaff in the air to see which way the wind
is blowing, we should be replaced.

Cheers,
Eric