Re: [wg-c] Unofficial report on L.A. meeting

Hi Roeland,
	From the way you write, it would seem that you are talking from a
point of view where you consider IOD to be "owner" (in all practical terms)
of .web, and that anything that gets done with .web would have to be done
with full agreement from IOD. If I've got that wrong, please point out
exactly where you stand, as I just don't get it otherwise.

Against that point of view, I don't believe you can hold (note: HOLD, not
just register it, but actually keep it in a meaningful manner) a trademark
lock on common words with a dot in front of them (but we'll probably have
more info in the upcoming IOD<->CORE shootout). But lets imagine for a
moment that IOD *DOES* "own" .web as an abstract. Fine, ok, then ICANN can't
do anything with .web without consulting with IOD. However, from there
taking that "ownership" over 4 ASCII characters (a dot+"w","e","b") to mean
that it can be forced down the throat of the ICANN root-servers seems to be
going a bit far I think.

If it were to be determined that IOD *does* "own" .web, then seeing that the
type of gTLD that ICANN wants to run (which is where ICANN retains the
rights), would not be compatible with IOD's .web, the result is that it just
doesn't go into ICANNs root.

And Roeland, seeing that you are so keen on the ownership matter, I can't
see how you will deny that ICANN "owns" the root (with oversight from USG).

Yours, John Broomfield.