Re: [wg-c] Summary of Ambler-Brunner correspondence on A Position Paper on some new gTLDs

> Christopher offered the analogy for illustration that the word "Martian"
> could be substituted for the word "Indian" with no loss of meaning, and
> that if the NAA proposal had Indian-specific language, it should also
> have Martian-specific language, and offered to supply the language.
>
> In the interests of completeness, I've accepted his offer to supply the
> Martian-specific language, and anticipate something along the lines of
> "NAAM a proposal for a TLD to be operated by the Indigenous Nations of
> North America and Mars."

The operative idea being that a draft for a specific TLD is inappropriate in
my opinion. An appropriate draft would address the issues of registry
selection, criteria, and operational guidelines.

If the selection of TLDs is to be left to ICANN, then that's a separate
issue. If the selection of TLDs is to be left to the registries, then that
is an issue that could be addressed in any draft.

To propose, on the other hand, a specific TLD in such a draft is
premature. If, as in the case of a number of prospective registries,
Mr. Brunner wishes to establish trademark rights at this time, that
is his option, and might aid in preventing the "squatting" issues he
brings up.

My analogy to "Martians" is an indication that for each and every
draft he proposes to protect the rights of Native Americans (a
position that I agree with in full, just as I agree with protection
for the rights of all ethnic groups on an equal basis), a draft can
be forwarded for each and every ethnic group.

In short - right idea, wrong venue.

Christopher