Re: [wg-c] position paper

On 09-Oct-99 A.M. Rutkowski wrote:
> At 12:04 AM 10/9/99 , Jonathan Weinberg wrote:
>>         Right now, .com stands astride the name space as the
>>         dominant --
>> indeed,
>>the only "real" -- commercial TLD.  Companies that currently have
>>a domain
>>name in the form of <www.companyname.com> have an extremely
>>important
>>marketing and name-recognition tool.  They have an advantage over
>>all other
>
> Jonathan,
>
> Might I suggest this statement is significantly biased
> and highly USA centric.  If one spends much time just
> about anywhere else in the world, it's almost instantly
> obvious that CO.UK, CO.JP, or however the local commercial
> namespace is constructed - is in fact the "dominant
> space."  In many of those market environments, they also
> have an advantage over all other namespace constructions.
> Strictly speaking, these are not TLDs, but for all practical
> purposes these DNS zones are treated locally as such.
>
> This section of the paper needs to rewritten to be more
> factual and balanced on this subject.

Tony,

Your statement above is not accurate, and the numbers are
available that prove it.

Even in other countries, domains in .com are still dominant, and
coveted more than their local third level equivelants.

I suggest you check your data.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934