Re: [wg-c] Short Position Paper

At 10:24 PM 10/8/1999 , Kent Crispin wrote:
>Open gTLDs and restricted TLDs both occupy the same name space --
>approving .ham as an open gTLD precludes its use as a restricted TLD.
>While in any particular case there might alternatives --
>.amateur_radio_operator, perhaps -- I want to give restricted TLDs a
>good shot at the name space before the floodgates open.

Ok.

Since it isn't possible to resolve all such "collisions" ahead of time, it
sounds as if the core issue is to have a mechanism which determines which
category to assign a name to (gTLD versus chartered TLD) and then handle
registry assignment independently.

That is, incrementally partitioning names into the two categories is
separate from having to assign registries (and permit registrations.)

>It might turn out that there is little interest in restricted TLDs.

The idea for chartered TLDs has been around for at least 3 years.  My own
guess is that they will be quite popular, since there's a degree of "vanity
registry" possible.

>Given the geographical restriction I made up, some current ccTLD
>registries will be likely bidders, and will already have running
>operations.  This would make the economies of scale less important,
>because they would already be financially stable.

Interesting point.  The downside is the potential that the regional
requirement will limit the amount of real competition that is given to
com/net/org.

>.com/.net/.org will dominate the scene for the next 5-10 years.  I
>think a smaller group of open TLDs actually stands a better chance of
>building significant market share.

Skipping over the real need for incremental (ie, careful) addition of
registries, the point you raise suggests KEEPING the pool of competitors
small.

A limited pool means limited potential.  Perhaps the fear you (and others)
cite will be true initially -- and I say only perhaps -- but a larger pool
means it is more likely that SOME of the competitors will be skilled enough
to gain serious market share.

A smaller pool means a smaller potential that some of the pool will have
enough business and marketing skill.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>