Re: [wg-c] Short Position Paper

You want to assert that the title to the registry data allows exclusive
rights claims? Who do you think have standing to make such claims? The
simple answer (the registry operator) seems prone to failure and wrong,
and the better ones get complicated quickly.

If you wanted to allow the assignment of title to some other trustee
than ICANN, and I suppose some alternatives exist and someone could put
together a business model for delegated title trusteeships, I don't see
a fundamental problem.

I do hope you aren't making the case that title shouldn't be held as a
public resource, independent of how many entities might hold delegated
title to portions of a registry's data, that title to the data is held
by the registrar operating company. NSI offered this line of reasoning
recently, but has subsequently abandoned this position. I wouldn't like
to make this position policy, so I hope I've misunderstood you.

Eric