RE: [wg-c] We have no Emperor: Re: The Emperor's NewConsensus(w a s:Re: [wg-c] IMPORTANT MESSAGE RE: WG-C )

	Marilyn and Kevin identify an important issue regarding the rough
consensus on the compromise proposal: WG-C has many more subscribers than
there were people expressing views.  That fact makes it more difficult to
figure out where the sense of the working group lies.  That problem,
though, isn't unique to this working group — it's typical in WG discussions
conducted over mailing lists.  As Scott Bradner put it in RFC 2418, "where
the discussion has been held entirely over the mailing list[, t]he
determination of the level of consensus may be harder to do . . . since
most people subscribed to mailing lists do not actively participate in
discussions on the list."  The challenge of such working group processes is
to balance the need for open and fair consideration of the issues against
the need to make forward progress; to that end, the WG chairs have the job
of figuring out when there appears to be strong enough consensus to move on.

	Kent's surely right that the ultimate WG report should incorporate
statements from *everyone* whose views have significant support.  We don't
have to worry about that in connection with the October 15 interim report,
since that report will consist almost entirely of the competing "position
statements" being set out for public comment.  We need to keep it in mind,
though, when it comes time to prepare the WG final report — on issues as
contentious as these, even where the WG finds rough consensus, the report
should nonetheless allow for the inclusion of minority views.

	As Milton points out, the text of the proposal was that "we begin with a
first round of 6-10 new gTLDs followed by an evaluation period."  I
explained the evaluation period this way in a message on Sept. 3:  "The
point of the evaluation period . . . would be to allow ICANN to decide
whether, how fast, and how extensively to proceed with rollout of
additional gTLDs.  I like Jean-Michel's characterization of the initial
period as a "testbed" because that carries with it the understanding that
the point of the evaluation period is to look for problems in the initial
rollout, and that ICANN will continue to create new gTLDs unless the
initial rollout demonstrates problems that can't be fixed."  Some people
conditioned their support for the compromise proposal on each new registry
being limited to a single gTLD, so that the 6-10 new gTLDs would be run by
6-10 new registries.  (And I noted my own view that, in this sort of
limited initial rollout, it would be sensible to restrict each new registry
to a single gTLD.) One person stated that the initial rollout should in any
event include at least four new registries; another person has supported a
plan under which the initial rollout would include three new registries
each operating three TLDs.  Nobody has indicated support on this list for
any plan under which any registry could operate more than 3 of the gTLDs
included in the initial rollout.

Jon

Jonathan Weinberg
co-chair, WG-C