RE: [wg-c] SV: Consensus and compromises...

> Behalf Of Dave Crocker
> Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 1999 7:17 PM
>
> At 09:43 AM 9/14/99 , Christopher Ambler wrote:
> >Limit each prospective registry to a single TLD to start,
> and that set
> >drops down to below 15. Most likely below 10.
>
> Limit them to one each and a) they will have 1/3 the name
> choice as NSI,
> and b) they will appear to be even more fragile than NSI
> especially since
> they are so new and NSI so well-established.

Dave

I believe that Chris meant that as an initial number. Once the registry
has proven itself, more TLDs can be added. Also, three times the number
of TLDs does not give a registry three times the market advantage. That
is strictly charter and market/branding dependent. NSI would have
exactly the same market advantage with only one TLD.

> In other words we need to be very careful that we do not
> orchestrate for failure.

FUD

> The current gTLD registry has 3 viable names.  Giving less
> than that to a
> new registries puts them in a significantly weaker position,
> particularly
> with respect to making a comparative analysis.

Worse, unsubstantiated FUD.

[off-topic ad hominems deleted]