RE: [wg-c] Developing negotiating points

Marilyn,

At 04:40 PM 9/12/99 , Cade,Marilyn S - LGA wrote:
>I'm out of the country, and trying to do my "day job" as well as pay

For some reason, I thought that your formally representing AT&T positions
in this process WAS part of your day job...  Still I'm empathetic that your
supervisor might distinguish between near-term and (in this case, MUCH)
longer-term efforts...

>isn't possible. In each case, I asked what would help, and it is: process,
>order, agendas, focus on presenting well thoughtout positions, which can
>On the number of gTLDs to start:  we conclude "one" because we are talking
>about a pilot first, before moving on.
>
>We do think that we have a good understanding of what customers, large and
>small, are looking for. Afterall, we deal every day with customers who seek
>to register domain names; we presently provide that service to our

Marilyn, I gave specific reasons why "one" is not particularly helpful,
either from a standpoint of typical experiments of this sort or in terms of
the particulars of this current effort.

Your response to my request for detail is to say that AT&T knows what is
best and to cite your (extremely recent) experience as a registrar.

However, you provide no detail, so I will repeat my request for it.  At the
least, please attend to the reasons I raised for "one" being inappropriate
to the current situation.

>ccTlds: Dave, these are very valuable and well used registries in other
>countries. There is no reason that .us couldn't be the same. In some

I agree with you.  However it has nothing to do with gTLDs.

As you noted (and I have included the text, above) these discussions
require structure.  ccTLD and gTLD issues are almost entirely
separate.  Let's keep them that way, unless you have a specific issue about
ccTLDs that pertain to gTLDs?

>So, my point was we need to not overlook the importance of the ccTLD
>marketplace as to some extent dealing with the "no names" paranoia that I
>sometimes hear.

The complaint pertains to limitations in choice for geography-independent
names.  The complaint is real and serious, as anyone who has tried to find
a good name is finding these days.

ccTLDs are associated with specific regions and, therefore, do not satisfy
the needs of organizations that want to present a "global"
face.  Organizations wishing this tone for their Internet presence are now
all over the world, from rural Italy and France, to Eastern Malaysia on
Borneo.  These companies are all largely limited to .com -- and .net if
they are sufficiently techie/networking related. -- and we are entering our
FIFTH YEAR of trying to improve their choices.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>