Re: SV: Wrong Question (Was Re: [wg-c] compromise proposal)

One of the dangers of so-called "industry self-regulation" that was explicitly
recognized by the Federal Trade Commission was the possibility that certain
industry interests can coalesce in restraint of trade.

This seems to be happening now. We have a commercially marketed ccTLD registry
(Bill Semich) telling us that he does not support any new competition from open
gTLDs. He is being supported by trademark interests who also have an economic
self-interest in restricting the market. While the trademark lobby has some
legitimate concerns about infringement, I made the point loong ago that legal
business activity cannot be forclosed or unfuly restricted simply because it
creates a possibility that infringement will occur in one one hundredth of one
percent of all registrations.

ICANN's board should be deeply aware of the danger of litigation is these kind
of rationales are used to stifle the market for domain name registrations.