RE: Wrong Question (Was Re: [wg-c] compromise proposal)

This was a point that I have been trying to get to for some time.
However, it has been  lost in the din created by those who don't want
ANY new TLDs to begin with, let alone work on a process to add new ones.
The arguments over "how many" were/are really arguments over "if any",
IMHO. This is because they really didn't want any, unless it was done
their way. The defnesive reaction, from other camps, was to take the
same uncompromising stance with their views. Unfortunately, there is no
way to craft a "solomon clause".

Now that were finally getting to some sort of consensus that new TLDs
are desireable/allowable, we can get on with the process question of
how, and under which conditions, to add them. For those of us in these
debates, the :"How many" question was recursively integrated with the
"If any" question. This condition was the main thing keeping us
dead-locked (and it still may).