Re: [wg-c] compromise proposal

At 12:07 AM 9/1/99 , Jonathan Weinberg wrote:
>         I'm proposing that, as a compromise, middle-ground recommendation, we
>begin with a first round of 6-10 new gTLDs followed by an evaluation
>period.  This proposal doesn't reflect my personal views (I support a much

The proposal doesn't reflect my personal views either -
which are best described as "agnostic."  So I hope
the following remarks are not misinterpreted.

A factual analysis of the TLD increases over the
seven year period from July 1992 to July 1999 under
the IANA regime, indicates that the six month increases
in new TLDs had a statistical mean of 16.6 and a
median of 13.5

It is a fair question to ask - on what basis would
this working group, ICANN or the US Dept of Commerce
significantly impede  this increase?  Clearly it is
not technology or operations.

I appreciate the competing interests here, but
whatever else this process is - it is also a record
that will surely be invoked in subsequent litigation.

Lest it be viewed as purely arbitrary and capricious,
or even unfairly manipulative, some articulation of
decision factors and weighting is critical to this
ongoing process.

Simple voting among a couple of dozen people who
wandered onto this list doesn't really suffice.

--tony