RE: [wg-c] WG C Straw Pole vote

	Amadeu's motion -- which the NC passed -- states that Working
Group C currently is not able "to perform its functions."  Put another
way, WG-C's "current structure and composition" is "not adequate to carry
out the substantive work of the DNSO."  For that reason, WG-C's current
structure and composition is contrary to the by-laws.  At the NC meeting,
when queried, Amadeu explained the sorts of "concrete solutions" WG-D
might suggest that would be adequate to address the problems he saw in
WG-C: "I was thinking about things like limiting the number of comments
per day, limiting the number of members, having a discussion list separate
from that, making a clear RFC proposal, things like that."

	What all this indicates is that we are falling down, in the eyes
of the NC, because we haven't been able to make adequate progress towards
producing a report.  I agree that that's a serious failing (although my
personal view is that it's largely due to the fact that the questions
we're charged with answering are so difficult).  But the answer, surely,
is not for us to play dead for two weeks while we wait for WG-D to make
suggestions as to how we can operate more effectively.  The answer is to
try to make progress.

	The gist of the NC's complaint, as set out in the text of the
motion and Amadeu's explanation, is that we're failing because we're not
making progress.  I think Javier is right that we should start preparing a
memo that sets out our various views, and the arguments in each direction,
so that even if we make no further progress towards consensus we can still
present the DNSO with a clear set of options.  But it's neither
illegitimate, nor inconsistent with the NC motion, for us at the same time
to try and make some progress towards consensus.  Had we done more of that
sooner, the NC wouldn't have needed to pass the motion at all.

Jon

Jonathan Weinberg
co-chair, WG-C
weinberg@msen.com