[wg-c] http://www.cavebear.com/cavebear/growl/issue_2.htm#multiple_roots

> .. I found
> this writing by Karl Auerbach.  I found it quite interesting.

>   http://www.cavebear.com/cavebear/growl/issue_2.htm#multiple_roots

Thanks Mikki!

In that short note I point out that the Internet will run quite happily,
and indeed can run better, with multiple root systems.

To make sure of this, over the last couple of years, I've run various
configurations using multiple roots, including being my own root.

And I have never lost connectivity.  I daresay that there are probably
folks out there would have been happier had that happened.

But the fact of the matter is that it did not happen.  And I've run the
idea past several people who are quite knowledgable about DNS, indeed some
of their names may be found on various DNS RFCs.  The ideas got a positive
reception.

The value of this paper is that it gives this Working Group an answer to
its current stasis.  The paper indicates a means that this WG can use to
avoid having answering the hard question of whether to add new TLDs or
not, and if so, which ones and when?

Besides, there is nothing that can stop multiple roots from happening
and spreading.

I personally feel that it is better to recognize the reality of multiple
roots and to learn to use them to advantage than it is to wail and gnash
ones teeth in futile, unproductive gestures.

The existance of multiple root systems enables a whole new world of
creative ways of deploying DNS.

The paper suggests, as an example, a filtration service whereby
communities that don't like porn can use the services of a root system
that points to TLD servers that cull out sites that are unacceptable by
the community's standards.

Another benefit of multiple root systems is that they can be tuned to the
topology of the net, vectoring queries off to instances of the TLD servers
that are topologically close to the end user.  This can result in a
substantial reduction of long-distance net traffic.  (DNS queries are
rather noticable amount of overall net traffic, and localizing them is "a
good thing".)  It is often the case that businesses survive or fail
according to how well they manage the efficient use of their resources and
multiple roots provide a way to do that.

And as I point out in the paper, having multiple root systems eliminates
one of the main single points of failure in today's Internet -- the single
root zone file.  (And it has failed in the past.)

		--karl--