No Subject

dcrocker said:

>Not as an absolute.

Very little, in my experience, is an absolute.  Including, for
example, the need for hierarchial models of distribution.

>We do not have competitive currencies or armies, for example, and we
>don't have competitive sewer systems.

If the Internet is truly a worldwide commodity, and we are looking at
the world, then there are indeed competitive currencies, armies, and
in many cases even sewer systems.   Unless you want to consider my
septic system a monopoly :-)

>Again, if you have an indication that the Commerce Department is
>seeking competition among different DNS roots, please point to it.

The Commerce Dept is seeking "competition."  They have never stated
whether that competition was limited to gTLDs.

>>>The IANA DNS root is subject to centralized administration.  That
>>>is the nature of a hierarchical data service.
>>>
>>>What is it you do not understand about the need for authority over
>>>administration when there is a centralized service
>>
>>What I don't understand is the need for a centralized service,
>>especially one that is non representative and unduly restrictive.
>
>Centralization is the nature of hierarchical technology.  Short of
>an introduction to the relevant information and computer sciences I
>am at a loss to know how to explain it to you.

I have seen lots of information and computer sciences in my time,
even though I will be the first to admit that this isn't my strongest
field.  In all that I have seen, there is no technical reason for a
hierarchial technology, especially in the face of possible damage.