Re: [wg-c] breaking up (names) is hard to do

On Sun, Aug 29, 1999 at 04:34:43AM -0700, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
[...]
> > What do people think?
>
> It's the most rube-golberg means of price-fixing that I have ever heard
> and it isn't within light-years of a compromise position. Besides, it
> isn't enforcable. You simply can not force a registry to become part of
> ICANN/DNSO.

That was not mentioned at all.  Of course, a registry does not have
to deal with ICANN -- it can be part of some other root server.

> What is the value-add of a commercial registry joining in
> this little scheme?

To get access to the IANA root.

> I have heard all sorts of FUD regarding the price-gouge bogeyman, on
> this list. All of it sheer false speculation. In a competitive market,
> it simply won't occur. I have more reason and evidence to say that then
> the converse.

The POC did a position paper exploring this matter at some depth.  I
have posted it on my website:  http://songbird.com/kent/glennspaper.html.