Re: [wg-c] Avery-Dennison decision and new gTLDs

If one is making an abstract statement about the detailed knowledge of DNS
by all judges, I suppose there's no doubt that the abstract statement is
correct.  However it has little to do with the question of judicial competence.

In the context and style the statement was made, it asserts that judges
aren't competent  to do their job.  Judges must deal with specialized
topics all the time.  Some are good at it and some aren't.

The sweeping assertion of incompetence is probably based on a tiny sampling
of the population of judges and, further, is a questionable assessment even
of that tiny sampling.

That is why I expressed an interest in the BASIS rather than just relying
on the conclusion.

d/

At 11:27 AM 8/25/99 , Kevin J. Connolly wrote:
>Milton speaks sooth.  Few and far between are
>the jurists who actually understand the DNS.
>This is a good thing <generic phrase insusceptible
>of trademark protection in this context :->

>At 09:17 AM 8/25/99 , Milton Mueller wrote:
> >Unfortunately most judges do not seem to understand the
> >arbitrariness of the special status of dot com registrations
> >and how easily that could be changed by the addition of new
> >gTLDs.
>
>An impressively sweeping and definitive assessment.
>
>Please explain the basis for such broad assertion of judicial incompetence.

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>