Re: [wg-c] breaking up (names) is hard to do

At 11:07 AM 8/23/99 , Mark C. Langston wrote:
>1)  We have companies still operating at business-time, instead of net-time.
>The net is a fluid and dynamic entity, and cannot be expected to be as
>rigid as, e.g., a phone book.  That a company invests thousands of dollars
>into advertising a domain name is more a problem with the way businesses

You are right.  And the core of this "time" problem are th human
customers.  Get rid of them -- or change them all -- and we won't have a
time problem.

>2)  The net currently has no effective means of intercepting a request
>to a particular domain name and performing a redirect on a widescale

Redirects are not a problem.  They are handled just fine now.

However the predicate requirement for a redirect is that the holder of the
new name still holds the old name.  Overlapping registration facilitates
transition but does not resolve the problem that occurs when the old name
is cut free and even, perhaps, assigned to someone else.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>