Re: [wg-c] is this really the work we have before us?

> > I would imagine that the price would
> > stay fixed, or have some clause that allows for increase due to inlation or
> > something along those lines. It's not price fixing, it's just carrying out a
> > contract where the company has stated what price it will charge. If it tries
> > to change that ($5000 the last year), then they'd be sacked for breach of
> > contract I'd imagine...
>
> That's exactly what I was proposing. Contractual limitation. No need for
> a re-bid, provided the registry does not break the contract.
>
> Christopher

Maybe I've got this all very wrong and am overly utopic about this, but I
thought that what we were trying to do was to get a system up and running
which was for the "benefit of the world" (how I hate the sound to that,
don't ask me why) as far as the internet was concerned.
Some seem to think that we are trying to invent a system to create some
marvelous protected cash-cow for a few chosen companies.
Personally I don't give a damn if the fact that rebidding a tender makes
life that little bit more unsecure/dangerous/difficult for the companies
bidding to win that tender if it gains a bit more in security/guarantees for
the internet.
I strongly oppose ANYTHING that seeks to perpetuate (unless challenged) the
grip of ANY company on ANY infrastructure (I'd like a system to be able to
eliminate that perpetuation on ICANN too, but I can't think of one
unfortunately, so it's tough luck there).
If an entity gets to run anything, it should be constantly faced with the
task of proving that it is worthy of that task and that it can do it better
than any other entity. Yes, that DOES mean there's pressure on that company,
however, as has been proven time and time again, lack of pressure on a
company to do a good job nearly inevitably results in them NOT doing a good
job (after all, there's no pressure to do it...).
Rebidding gives EVERYONE a chance to step back, look at what has been done
and see if it was worth being done that way, or if it can be improved on.
Perpetuation in any form means stagnancy.

Yours, John Broomfield.