From: Dave Crocker [mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 1999 1:18 PM
To: Kent Crispin
Cc: wg-c@dnso.org
Subject: [wg-c] marketing

At 08:14 PM 8/21/99 , Kent Crispin wrote:
>On Sat, Aug 21, 1999 at 04:35:49PM -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
>[...]
> > Surely everyone understands that the biggest problem
> > a new gTLD will face is marketing.
>
>Such a statement is simply not consistent with the many claims of
>there being tremendous demand for new gTLDs.  If it is true that
>there is tremendous pent up demand for gTLDs, then marketing is not a
>big issue -- certainly not the "biggest" problem a new gTLD will
>face.

Just to show that Kent and I are not joined at the hip:  I believe that
marketing IS likely to be a strong requirement for any new registry, and
that is independent of its business model.

There are three reasons:

         1.  Some existing registries have provided sufficiently poor
service that there is possibly some resistance

         2.  The delay in adding new gTLDs has created a de facto
assumption of using .com

         3.  NSI has such a massive head-start and is recently pursuing
marketing too aggressively for others to ignore.

On the other hand, note that I said "strong requirement" rather than
"prime" or somesuch.  Good reliability, performance, etc. are also clearly
strong requirements.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>